Fundamentals of Cosmetic Dentistry
General dentistry is the diagnosis and treatment of common oral complications. It is nothing related to the appearance of the teeth. Whereas, cosmetic dentistry is the term used for any dental procedures regarding the presence of the teeth and gum. Cosmetic dentistry mainly focuses on the enhancement of the teeth in:
So anybody who wants a more beautiful set of teeth must undergo one of the following procedures.
Cosmetic dentistry does the following:
- The implanting of a dental material to the gums or teeth. For example, veneers, crowns, gum graft.
- The removal of gums or tooth structure. For example, enameloplasty, gingivectomy.
- Chemical methods. For example, laser whitening, teeth whitening, gum depigmentation.
- Straightening of teeth by the improvement in the appearance of the face. For example, orthodontics.
The five types of cosmetic dentistry are
This is the process in which a dental composite material, which is similar to the enamel, is applied to the tooth’s surface, sculpted into the exact shape, and then polished to match your natural teeth. This is done to repair damaged and cracked teeth.
Dental implants are typically done to replace missing teeth. A small titanium screw is sent into your jaw. This will serve as the support for a crown. Once the screw and surrounding tissue fuse, the crown will be fixed into the screw. Dental implants cannot be separated from your other teeth.
This is the simplest and most common type of cosmetic dentistry. Teeth whitening is fast, easy, and also safe. First, your teeth will be clean, and any plague or tartar left on your teeth will be removed. Then a whitening or bleaching solution will be applied to your teeth. Laser whitening is a method used to whiten your teeth through laser beams.
Inlays and Onlays
Inlays and Onlays are also known as filling done indirectly. These are molded in the lab and shaped to match your teeth perfectly. They are made out of composite resin material and attached to the teeth by dental cement. Inlays are used when the tooth’s cusps are not damaged. It will be placed directly on the surface of the tooth. Whereas, Onlays are used when the tooth’s cusps or a more significant portion of the tooth is damaged. It will be placed over the entire tooth’s surface.
The dental veneer is a custom made the shell-like cover. It is designed to match the exact teeth of the patient. It is attached to the teeth by grinding off an amount of enamel and planting it in place. Veneers are used not only to whiten your teeth but also to cover any damages, close spaces in between teeth, and to align them.
So above mentioned and explained is a brief introduction to cosmetic dentistry and its types. So if you ever have any issues regarding the appearance of your teeth, visit the dentist and discuss which type of cosmetic dentistry will be suitable for you.
- Which Factors are Considered for Smile Design?
- Which Type of Crown is Best For You?
- Is it Worth Getting Lumineers?
- Bruxism and Cosmetic Dentistry
- A Honest Smile or Not? Duchenne Smile!
- 5 Reasons why Dental Crowns are the Ideal Option for You?
- Things You Need to Know Before Getting Dental Veneers
- Fundamentals of Cosmetic Dentistry