When a tooth is cracked, decayed, or damaged, a crown may need to be fitted onto the tooth. A crown is a permanent covering that fits over the original tooth.
Time Needed: 5-8 days
Crowns can be made of porcelain, gold and other metals, acrylic resin, or an amalgam (a mix) of these materials. Porcelain crowns typically have the most realistic appearance, although they tend to be less durable than other materials. Crowns can whiten, reshape, and realign existing teeth, adding to a healthy and vibrant smile.
Before & After : Replacing Old Crowns
First Step: Preparing the Tooth and Crown
During your first visit, the dentist will numb the tooth to be crowned and remove the decay in or around it. The tooth is then resculpted to provide an easy fit for the crown. This is a painless process that is performed in the dentist’s chair. An impression of your teeth is then taken and sent to the dental lab where permanent, custom-made crowns are created (this usually takes weeks in the UK because of capacity problems). During this interim period, temporary crowns made of an acrylic resin are fitted onto the teeth.
Applying the Crown
On your next visit, the dentist removes the temporary crown and fits the permanent crown onto the teeth. He or she makes sure the crown has the proper look and fit, and then cements the crown into place.
- white color,
- light transmission properties
- and durable structure.
This natural-looking zirconium porcelain crown replaces metal-supported porcelain crowns. With their robustness, zirconium crowns has become one of the most preferred crown method.
Zirconium is a pure white metal found in nature. Before zirconium crowns, the metal supported crowns used for many years as crown solution for tooth lose or thin teeth. So now zirconium crowns have a more natural appearance thanks to the white-colored zirconium in its structure. Compared to the metal supported porcelain crowns, zirconiums crowns have higher resistance to horizontal and vertical pressures. That made zirconium crowns a successful alternative in dental treatment.
What are the stages application of Zirconium Crown?
- The first stage should be eliminating the existing problems in the gums. Crown on unhealthy tooth root and gum is not healthy and appropriate.
- A certain amount of abrasion and reduction is applied according to the condition of the teeth. Local anesthesia is used during this procedure.
- The next step is to take measurements of the patient's teeth to determine sizes of the new zirconium crowns. The dentist will apply temporary teeth at this stage.
- The measurements of crown are transferred to digital environment in the laboratory and manufactured with CAD / CAM technology.
- Before the zirconium crowns are permanently adhered to your teeth, the desired changes, if any, will be made. After the crown is shaped to your liking, it is bonded permanently.
Visiting a dentist at least every 6 months is recommend to the patients that undergoing zirconium crown treatment.
What are the advantages of Zirconium Crowns?
- In terms of light transmission functionality, Zirconium crown is as close to natural tooth as possible. So it doesn't look artificial.
- The standard metal-backed porcelain crowns may cause a purplish appearance on gums. This is not applicable for zirconium crown, since it is highly compatible with the human body.
- Zirconium material is biologically compatible with human body. It does not cause allergies and other health problems.
- In metal supported crowns, the teeth need be cut more because of the artificial appearance of the metal reflection. Zirconium crown, on the other hand, can be applied with less cutting and more of your natural teeth intact.
- Due to less abrasion, cold / hot sensitivity is felt much less.
- Thanks to its color and natural appearance, zirconium can even be applied to a single tooth.
- It can be easily applied on all parts of your teeth; on your front teeth with its aesthetic appearance, and on your back teeth used for chewing with its robustness.
- It is highly resistant to the staining effects of everyday habits, cush as tea, coffee, cigarettes, etc.
- It does not cause a change in taste or halitosis.
Is Zirconium Crown Treatment Painfull? Process
In almost all dental treatments, the first question the patients ask and the thing that concern them the most is “Will I feel any pain?“. Pain during cutting phase of zirconium crown is prevented by local anesthesia. Since temporary teeth are applied after this phase, no aesthetic discomfort should occur. The treatment is completed in as little as 1 week, as long as no extra treatment is required for teeth and gums. Zirconium crown treatment does not take long and it is easy, comfortable and aesthetic looking.
It is important, on the day of the treatment and the next day, to reduce the consumption of very hot, cold and acidic foods and beverages in order to avoid tooth sensitivity. Likewise, hard and sticky foods should not be consumed in the first few days.
After treatment, patients begin to feel their zirconium crowns as their own teeth within a maximum of 1 week to 10 days.
Zirconium Crown Teeth Care
Taking care of your zirconium coated teeth is the same as your normal teeth. You should brush your teeth and gums twice a day, and flossing should not be overlooked. Periodic checks every 6 months are important for preventing problems before they occur.