Everything You Need to Know About Dental Implants
Tooth loss is widespread among adults these days. There is a large number of people, not only missing one or two teeth but missing all their upper and lower sets of teeth.
The titanium screw, which is replaced for the root of a failed tooth is a dental implant. It is an artificial screw inserted into the jawbone. The main purpose of a dental implant is to replace a missing tooth. Dental implants are a long-term solution, as they are embedded into the jawbone, just like natural teeth.
Components of a dental implant:
- Titanium implant – A screw that serves as a root for the new teeth. This titanium screw is permanently fixed to the jaw.
- The crown – This is the visible part of the tooth. It is made of porcelain or zirconium as they are highly durable and natural.
- The abutment – This is the fixed connector that holds the set of teeth or tooth. It can be removed if not needed.
Benefits of dental implants:
- As implants are embedded into the jaw, it prevents bone loss.
- It does not damage the teeth nearby.
- It looks just like natural teeth.
- No diet restrictions.
- It does not hurt or cause any restrictions.
- Long-lasting. It can even last a lifetime if given proper care.
- Cavities will not be formed.
- Easy to care for as you do not have to use any exclusive products for the maintenance.
The two most common dental implants are:
This is the most commonly used dental implant. It is made out of titanium. This is shaped like a small screw. An endosteal implant is done by placing a small screw in the jawbone. And it extends through the gum to hold the replacement tooth in place.
Subperiosteal implants are done when your jawbone is not healthy enough to support an implant. Under the gum or the section above, the jawbone is implanted. It extends through the gum and holds the replacement tooth in place.
You may be wondering whether it is safe to insert a screw into your jawbone. Do not worry at all, dental implants are safe and a recommended treatment by all dentists. It is most commonly said that a dental implant can last a lifetime. But, that is according to how well you maintain and care for the implant. If you do not look after your implants, it could lead to gum infections, soreness, bleeding, and other discomforts in your teeth and gum.
Dental implants are the right solution for issues such as missing teeth. When compared to bridges, crowns, and dentures, dental implants last longer. Dental implants are not only done to replace one missing tooth. So, single tooth replacement, full upper plus a lower set of teeth, and multiple teeth can be implanted, too. The above explained is a brief introduction to dental implants. A dental implant is a common type of cosmetic dentistry done to replace a missing tooth. So, if you have a missing tooth, make sure to consult the dentist and get a dental implant done.